In order to attract and retain the best quality teachers and other academic staff in universities and colleges, the UGC has brought out new regulations, Javadekar said while addressing media persons in New Delhi today. Under the new UGC regulagtion, Ph.D Degree will be mandatory for direct recruitment to Assistant Professors in Universities from July 1, 2021, Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar said.
Here are the highligts of the new higher education Regulations 2018:
1. Incentives to teachers as provided in the earlier Regulations of 2010 and subsequent amendments have been retained. These include incentives for M.Phil/Ph.D.
2. Academic Performance Indicator (API) based PBAS System has been removed. A new simplified teacher evaluation grading system has been introduced and research score added for Universities to improve research output.
3. Promotion criteria under Career Advance,ent Scheme (CAS) for university teachers has been made more research oriented while in case of college teachers, CAS criteria is more focused on teaching.
4. For the first time provision for promotion in Colleges will be up to Professor level.
5. Special provision for recruitment of Assistant Professors in Universities and Colleges for Ph.D Degree holders from a University/Institution in the top 500 Global rankings has been made.
6. The Regulations mandate introduction of one month induction programme for newly recruited Assistant Professors in Universities/Colleges/Higher Education Institutions.
7. Ph.D Degree has been made mandatory for promotion to Assistant Professor (Selection Grade) in colleges from July1, 2021. For the first time, weightages are assigned for CAS in respect of MOOCs and E-Content in Universities and Colleges.
8. Research clusters will be created in the universities within the state for sharing research facilities, skills and infrastructure to ensure optimal utilization of resources and creating synergies amongst higher education institutions.
9. Up to 10 percent of the existing sanctioned strength of Professors in Universities shall be appointed as Senior Professors in the Universities. Senior Professors in Universities will be appointed through direct recruitment and through promotion under CAS.
10. Universities will accord permission and provide need-based facilities to colleges teachers to supervise Ph.D/M.Phil scholars.
11. Special category of medal winners in Olympics, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games in eligibility criteria for Assistant Director/College Director, Physical Education and Sports and Deputy Director, Physical Education and Sports in Universities has been made to promote sports in Universities and Colleges.
Note: Ph.D Degree shall be mandatory requirement for Direct Recruitment to the post of Assistant Professors in University with the effect from 1st July, 2021. However, Masters degree with NET or Ph.D. will continue to be the minimum eligibility requirement for Direct Recruitment to the post of Assistant Professors in colleges.